Monday, January 10, 2011

Chennai!!!!!

Whats up forum,

I have a very important work to do..But still..(Oru flash back music play pannikonga)

I was in Chennai last weekend..WW2.6 and WW2.7 as some would say..:-P..(WW naa work week..Intel has the work week rather than the normal calendar week..IBU lam poda try panle..). I was full of verve friday night coz I was gonna rise the next morning in 'Singaara Chennai'..As usual KSRTC untime a 4.30 ku 'Koyembedu' kondu poi vittan..I really have to digress to talk about some names in and around Chennai like Koyambedu..Infact naanum Arunum indha matter vechu dan most of the bus journey time pass panninom (More on that later)...Most of them are very good Thamizh names, given to a synthesizer for distorting in a totally arbitrary manner..To quote Arun, " Aminji karai is what Chennai does to Amaindha karai"..Similarly you have Chembarambaakkam , Purashavaakkam, Chepauk , virugambaakkam,Gummanaanchavadi, pammal, Gummudipoondi etc.. I somehow feel good about pronouncing the 'x-ambaakkam' names..Also there are very British like names... "Thousand lites" , "Mount Road", "Egmore" etc..

Getting back to the 'crux' of the matter, at 4.30 am on a saturday morning M70 enroute Thiruvaanmiyur (another beautiful name) was 'filled to the brim'. The city was up and running at a time which the average Bangalorean is unaware of. All temples were open and some of them blaring loud devotional songs, lads brandishing their cricket bats enroute to the beach and I could even find some shops open. All this gave a really good feeling. People were enjoying the weather probably because its the only time in the day they can do so :-P..

After an hour I reached Arun's place in Thiruvaanmiyur. Of course he was enjoying the weather sleeping peacefully until I woke him up..Very soon I too started enjoying Chennai's climate..He had warned me saying, "Dey 7 o clock mela veyil adikka aarambichudum..Ippave padu"...He is right. In Chennai ppl dont have to go to gym to loose weight. They just have to exist...:-P..The weather takes care of everything else. I believe the weather there is one of the main reasons for the dynamic lifestyle compared to the drab and sedentary life style of B'lore. Its like you are knee deep in steaming soup and forced to move around to escape the heat..

But luckily WW2.6 was awesome. It was cloudy , windy and cool. Perfect Bangalore weather in Chennai. No better combination for sight-seeing. As a matter of fact Thiruvanmiyur beach is just 5 mins from Arun's house (Thalaivar bayangara posh locality le dan irukaaru)..First thing in the morning we went to the beach..Its almost a month since I went to Chennai and I had a feeling that the sea was swollen :-P..for which Arun replied "Dey adhu vera onnum ille ...Nee gundu aayirukke!!!"..
After the customary feet wash in "Mahodhadhi" (Bay of Bengal in Sanskrit :-) ) we left for his home..

I had the best breakfast in one month at his home..In Blore due to non availability of South Indian food either because its unhygienic or over priced, I had restricted my breakfast to just fruits or pongal(only comestible dish I found) or nothing. But in Chennai I was astounded to know that 6 Dosa's and a generous serving of Chutney Sambhar costs just Rs 15 and the best part is that its home made. A similar serving either overly oiled or uncooked would easily cost thrice in Bangalore. Enna irundhaalum saappadukku namma oora adichikka mudiyaadhu!!!

After a hearty break fast we embarked on a journey to Egmore museum. It was a good 1.5 hour journey and we were discussing the wins and woes of our respective workplaces. By the way Arun works in Atmel which is also a semiconductor company.(More about Arun later)..Ya so time just flew by and we reached Egmore. For the first time , I had the feeling that I was in a 'Big City'..I did not have this feeling even when I came to Blore from Coimbatore..Honestly Bangalore can never attain Chennai's magnificence..The sophistication of the place just got on to us.

The first place we visited enroute the museum was Spencer Plaza Music World..I went in search of 'Aandavan aathma aanmeegam' and he was in search of ear phones. Both of us returned empty handed. :-)..My mom whose early life (pre-marital) was in Chennai has told me a lot of Egmore glories..Higgin botham's, Baskin robbins, Spencer plaaza etc in the 1970's..Did Blore even know of such names then?? Bangalore now can be best compared to "Pudhu panakkaaran"..The pristine parts of Blore (cantonment area, Ulsoor, etc) are still similar to some landscapes in Chennai (Guindy, Egmore etc)..So this has made me opine that Bangalore was like Chennai but is slowly drifting away from its pristine form. The only area I hear where hints of proper Blore can still be found is the areas surrounding the cantonment.

It was nearly 1.00 pm when we came out of Spencer's and we spotted a certain Ponnusamy hotel. A Merc C class, BMW 520 di and an Audi A3 was parked infront of the hotel. Adhellam kooda paravaale...What put us off our feet was the impeccably dressed security..We gave each other sheepish looks and as usual Arun who sees the best in any situation remarked ," Dey security irukkara hotel le ellam namma saapda koodadhu"..And off we went to the museum..

We started our photo sessions and continued until an 'aaya' reminded us that photography is prohibited. That made us take rest for a couple of minutes before we started afresh concentrating more on the "prohibited" zone..Interested readers can refer to FB for pics. We covered the museum in about an hour and the art gallery in about 5 mins and I remarked, " Dey coverage semaya irukku le" ..This brought back memories of AD days..For more info on that refer to Arun's blog..

We had a late half lunch at some cafe and left for our destinations. Actually I had planned to cover Kanchipuram also in the evening but due to ignorance of bus routes, I opted Guindy instead of T Nagar to catch the bus to Kanchi. I had planned for 3 p.m but when we reached Guindy it was past 4.0pm and hence I had to drop it. Arun returned home and I visited the Shiva temple in Thiruvaanmiyur before getting back home.

I had Guitar lessons that night. In fact Arun had earlier in the morning taught me to play C-chord and in the night Gautham came home and taught me to play some alphabet - sharp chord. If u don't believe refer to FB pics..It was great fun playing the guitar..The day culminated with a sumptuous dinner of hot adai's and chappathi with coconut chutney.

In all it was a memorable day..Everything was perfectly in place and I had a peaceful, contented sleep.

The next morning WW2.7, I was off to Kanchi..More on that later.

I dedicate this pst to God.

6 comments:

  1. nice one da !!
    I am gonna reshare this ;)

    and it is not Gummanaanchavadi , its kumananchavadi, purashaivaakkam

    And Gautham unakku alphabet - sharp chord solli kuduththappa ,"ithu vaeraya ?!! naan andha oru chord'oda guitar mudinjidhunnu nenachaenae!!" apdinnu oru expression kuduththiyae , adha yaen vittutte :P

    And neeyum (enna maadhiri) oru Thamizhan da ;) (according to the comment in 'An unreserved trip in my blog)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. He he...Actually indha blog ezhudhunadhu adhukku dan...;)..

    Ellathayum correcta kandupidichidre..:-)..

    More about Arun later nu vera sollirukken..Fan's ellam romba expect panraanga :-P..

    ReplyDelete
  3. enna vechchu edhuvum comedy keemedy pannaliye ?! :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cha Cha...To quote you, "Blog ne yaarayum oatradhille" :-)...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enda, athan dailyum msg pannikireengala, aprom enna inga discussion vera? Blog traffic ethureengalo? Good and not so good news. Good news is nalla vela naan unga kooda varalai, illa naanum koil koila suthi irunthirupaen. Not so good news,perhaps for me,is I spent 4k(not an IBU) on saturday evening alone in that stupid Skywalk...
    More importantly, where is that hotel in Chennai which gives six dosas for Rs.15? Missed a good time with u ppl. Next time, nee varachae, call me b4 a week and not like wat u did last week, calling me at 10 am, wen I'm abt to leave outside. Good post, I must say ;)

    Pinkurippu: Thayavu seithu intha captcha image ah thooku. En company la irukara internet connectionla ithu load aagi,naan comment panrathukulla...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Rajpandian,

    Please refer to my previous comment. The one immediately preceding yours.

    Regards,
    Srinivasan.

    ReplyDelete